Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Chicken Persillade

Photobucket

Is the glass half full or half empty? I'm a half full type of gal. When a contest recipe fails to take top honors, I console myself with positive thoughts. I won't have explain the eye patch or lose five pounds for the camera. Better still, I won't have to remind interviewers that being the oldest participant in the contest is a dubious distinction - right up there with the perfect attendance award in grammar school. This recipe was in the National Chicken Cooking Contest semi-finals in 2004. It didn't get me to the podium, but it did get me to Charlotte, NC for a wonderful weekend. It was my first ever contest so you can imagine how thrilled I was. Lightening struck again this year and I once again made the NCCC cut. It would seem, however, that I own the the "always a bridesmaid, never a bride" moniker. I won't be moving on to the final round. It's too early to share this year's semi-final recipe, but I've got the O.K. to post the 2004 entry. This is a simple recipe that uses an aioli to flavor chicken cutlets before coating them with garlic and parsley bread crumbs. The cutlets are beautiful to look at and they are packed with flavor.

Chicken Persillade

Ingredients:
Rosemary Aioli:
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup Dijon Mustard
1/2 teaspoon garlic, finely minced
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
1/4 teaspoon lemon zest, freshly grated
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
Persillade Crumbs:
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic, finely minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
Chicken:
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
Garnish
Curly parsley
Lemon slices

Directions:

1) In a small bowl, combine all ingredients for rosemary aioli. Mix well and set aside.
2) In a second bowl, combine garlic, parsley, bread crumbs and 2 tablespoons olive oil.
3) Place each chicken breast half between 2 sheets of plastic wrap; pound to 1/4-inch thickness. Season chicken with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Coat chicken breasts with rosemary aioli, then dredge in persillade crumb mixture.
4) In a 12-inch non-stick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Cook chicken until golden, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove to a serving platter; garnish with parsley and lemon slices. Yield: 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment