Sunday, March 21, 2010

Moroccan Carrots



From the kitchen One Perfect Bite...As babies, my children ate orange vegetables with such abandon that they occasionally radiated a jaundiced glow. We didn't have that problem as they became older. The carrots and sweet potatoes they loved as infants became a hard-sell at the dinner table. I couldn't understand it. I happen to love carrots, but then I'm also a beet lover, so, I'm probably a poor barometer of public taste and vegetable consumption. I set out to find or create recipes for vegetables that were so appealing that they couldn't be refused. I found today's recipe, which comes from New York Magazine, while on a quest to add color to our Easter table. I traditionally make lamb on Easter Sunday. While working through the various options at my disposal, I decided to give this recipe a try. I'm so glad I did. These carrots are flavored with the spices of Morocco, and they pair wonderfully well with lamb or any plain roasted meat. The carrots, which are very easy to prepare, should be refrigerated for at least 8 hours, but be sure to serve them at room temperature.

Moroccan Carrots...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite, courtesy of Chef Einat Admony

Ingredients:

2 pounds carrots, peeled
3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for sautéing
1-1/2 teaspoons cumin
1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced pinch of cayenne pepper
3 tablespoons white wine or champagne vinegar

Directions:
1) Place carrots in a large pot of cold water and bring to a boil, cooking until slightly tender but not overdone, approximately 15 minutes depending on size of carrots. Drain and place carrots in cold water until cool. Slice diagonally into 1/4-inch thick rounds.
2) In a large skillet, sauté carrot slices in olive oil until slightly brown, cooking them in small batches if your pan becomes crowded.
3) Place carrots in a bowl, add olive oil and remaining ingredients, and mix well. For best results, refrigerate overnight and serve at room temperature. Yield: 5 servings.

You might also enjoy these recipes:

Herb Roasted Carrots - One Perfect Bite
Braised Carrots and Shallots - One Perfect Bite
Creamy Carrot Soup - One Perfect Bite

No comments:

Post a Comment