Thursday, October 15, 2009

Chicken Pot Pie - Foodie Friday





I had a wonderful surprise yesterday. I learned that my Apple Custard Pie with Streusel Topping was being featured on Saveur's Best of the Web page and, that as a result, One Perfect Bite would be included in their "Sites We Love" list. My thanks to all of you for your support. Your daily visits and kind words helped make this happen. A group hug is in order.

The Coach House Restaurant in New York City closed in the late 90's, but during it's hay day some wonderful food could be had there. I was fortunate enough to get their recipe for Chicken Pot Pie before they closed their doors. It was a lunchtime favorite of mine and when I make pot pie at home, this is the recipe I use. It has, however, been simplified and deconstructed over the years. While purists will argue, I think the changes have made a wonderfully homey dish even better. The original recipe called for stewing a chicken to produce meat and stock for the pie. I've replaced the sometimes less than tender bird with poached chicken thighs or a deli-style chicken. I also use canned chicken broth and frozen vegetables to make quick work of required mise en place. The most noticeable change is the technique I use for the pastry that tops the pie. While I make my own pie crust, I hasten to add that ready-made crust or puff pastry can, of course, be used. I use the bottom of the dish or dishes in which I plan to bake the pie as a form to cut pastry that will fit over the filling without crimping the edges. I carefully move it to a baking sheet that's been covered with parchment or waxed paper and bake it until it's a deep golden brown and then set it aside. I make the sauce stove top, then add the chicken and vegetables and cook until everything is piping hot. It's then spooned into individual casseroles that are carefully topped with an already baked and crisp pastry crust. It goes back in the oven to assure everything is warm before it's served. Here are the recipe specifics.

Chicken Pot Pie
...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:
12 tablespoons butter
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon fresh tarragon or parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
Pinch of nutmeg
Juice of 1/2 lemon
12 large white mushrooms, quartered
1 cup frozen diced peas and carrots, thawed and drained
1/2 cup frozen pearl onions, thawed
4 cups cooked chicken, shredded in spoon size chunks
Pastry for a two crust pie
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon cream or milk

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or waxed paper. Set aside.
2) Melt butter in a large, heavy bottomed sauce pan. Stir in flour; cook, stirring, over medium heat for 3 minutes, until bubbly but not brown. Gradually add chicken broth and cook stirring constantly until sauce thickens and bubbles. Add mushrooms, pearl onions and peas and carrots; simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Add chicken. Set aside.
3) Roll out pastry on a lightly floured surface to about 1/4-inch thickness. Use bottom of individual casseroles to cut pastry topping. Carefully move to prepared baking sheet. Mix egg yolk with cream or milk. Brush pastry with glaze. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a deep golden brown. Set aside. Reduce oven to 350 degrees F.
4) Spoon chicken mixture into 6 individual greased baking dishes. Carefully cover with pastry toppers. Bake for 20 minutes to warm or until sauce is bubbly. Serve hot. Yield: 6 servings.

This recipe is being linked to:
Designs By Gollum - Foodie Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment