Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Blackberry Crisp

Photobucket

This is a dessert that is assembled rather than made. I keep a few of these recipes in my file for occasions when I need something sweet that can be put together quickly. Blackberries and hazelnuts are common ingredients in Oregon. I always have them in my freezer, so this dessert is a literal no-brainer for me to execute. I've started to use English muffins to make bread crumbs. I like the coarse texture of the crumbs they produce and I always have them on hand. It took 5 minutes to assemble this dessert. It's a great family or weeknight dessert.


Blackberry Crisp

Ingredients:
6 to 8 cups fresh or frozen marionberries or blackberries
2-1/2 cups coarse fresh English muffin crumbs, divided use
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
Finely grated zest of 1 small orange
1/4 teaspoon table salt
1/2 cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
Heavy cream or vanilla ice cream, for serving (optional)

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2) Combine blackberries, 1 cup crumbs, confectioners' sugar, orange zest and salt in a medium bowl. Place in a greased 8 x 8-inch or 11 x 7-inch baking dish. Set aside.
3) Combine reserved 1-1/2 cups crumbs, hazelnuts, melted butter and granulated sugar in a small bowl. Sprinkle over berries. Bake until the berry juices bubble, about 40 minutes. Cool for about 10 minutes. Serve warm with cream or ice cream. Yield: 6 to 8 small servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment