Friday, November 13, 2009

Sushi - Daring Cooks Challenge November 2009



Nigiri Roll



Dragon Rolls




Nori-Coated Decorative Roll

From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...
I should be ashamed to admit this, but despite my years in the kitchen I've never made sushi. Both of my daughters are masters of the art and I simply left it to them. I suspect there'll be two detailed critiques in my morning mail and a lot of laughter tonight at my expense. Kids turn on you at the drop of a dime! I should also be ashamed to admit that the only reason I made sushi today was because it was the November 2009 Daring Cooks challenge. This months hosts are Audax of Audax Artifex and Rose of The Bite Me Kitchen. They chose sushi as the challenge and I must admit I had a lot of fun with this one. Their challenge came in came in 4 Parts:

Part 1: Making proper sushi rice – you will wash, rinse, drain, soak, cook, dress, and cool short grain rice until each grain is sticky enough to hold toppings or bind ingredients. Then you will use the cooked rice to form three types of sushi:
Part 2: Dragon sushi roll – an avocado covered inside-out rice roll with a tasty surprise filling
Part 3: Decorative sushi – a nori-coated rice roll which reveals a decorative pattern when cut
Part 4: Nigiri sushi – hand-shaped rice rolls with toppings

...and, yes, I actually got through them all. Not perfectly, mind you. but I fulfilled the requirements of a great challenge and we did not starve. While it was a lot of fun, I probably won't repeat the experience because it's not cost effective to make sushi for two people. I do think everyone should try this once. I'm glad I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment