Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Margarita Shrimp Salad for Sandwiches and Wraps



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...
This is a lovely Baja-type salad that is best used as a filling for sandwiches and wraps. A small amount of shrimp is extended with fajita-type vegetables and then seasoned with lime juice and Margarita salt. I cheat terribly with this recipe. I buy precooked shrimp and use any coarse salt I happen to have in the house. If I can't find yellow and green tomatoes, I just use more red. The only thing that suffers is the color of the finished dish. I've adapted this recipe from one that appears as a dip in many places on the internet. I've been unable to find who really should be credited with this recipe. This takes minutes to assemble and it's one of my favorite go-to recipes when time is short and stomachs are growling. I rarely have leftovers, but this filling can be kept in the refrigerator for a day or so. While I prefer to serve the salad wrapped in a flour tortilla, it is also wonderful on slices of a baguette or croissant. This is a treat that is assembled rather than made. The only caution is to keep the ingredients in bite-sized pieces of approximately the same size. Here's the recipe.

Margarita Shrimp Salad...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:
1 pound boiled, peeled shrimp
1 large red tomato, chopped
1 large yellow tomato, chopped
1 large green tomato, chopped
1 large jalapeƱo, seeded and chopped
1 small onion, peeled and diced
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
2 avocados, chopped
1/2 lime, juiced
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon Margarita salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
8 flour tortillas or baguette slices

Directions:
1) Chop shrimp and put in a bowl. Add remaining vegetables that have been prepared. Cover with lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Chill quickly.
2) Spoon an equal portion of salad onto tortilla or baguette slices. Wrap filling if using tortillas. Yield: 8 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment