Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Biscotti Regina





From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...If you like a not too sweet cookie with your coffee or tea, you'll enjoy this lovely treat that's reminiscent of the sesame seed cookies you'd get in an Italian bakery. The recipe belongs to Dan Smith and Steve McDonagh, who you probably remember from the first FNTV Next Food Network Star program. I happen to be a fan of theirs. Their food is "doable" but fancy enough to impress. I first tried this recipe because an over zealous shopping expedition left me with a surplus of sesame seeds and I wanted to use them before they spoiled. The recipe was quick and easy to assemble and I was so pleased with the results that I try to keep a supply of the cookies on hand for my own enjoyment. The cookies improve with age, so I like to make them a couple of days before I intend to serve them. I toast the sesame seeds used to roll the cookies in. I think it adds an additional layer of flavor. If you prefer a paler cookie don't toast them. Them store well in an airtight container. I hope you'll enjoy them too. Here's the recipe.

Biscotti Regina (Sesame Seed Cookies)...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Dan Smith and Steve McDonagh

Ingredients:
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 sticks butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups sesame seeds

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2) Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
3) Put butter and sugar into bowl of a mixer and cream until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time while mixer is running and beat until smooth. Add vanilla and beat. Add e flour mixture and beat until well incorporated.
4) To form cookies, divide dough in half and roll into logs 1-inch in diameter. Cut logs into 3-inch lengths. Dip each piece of dough into cream and then roll in sesame seeds. Place cookies on a baking sheet and bake until golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool and serve. These will keep in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Yield : 30 cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment